Equality & Diversity Policy
I am a sole trader operating as Tracy Barlow, Learning and Development Consultant, and I am not planning to employ any members of staff at this stage or for the foreseeable future. However, the services I provide put me into positions of trust and confidentiality with a large number of people. This policy therefore sets out my aims, values and practice around the issue of equality and diversity as a sole trader.
Definition: Equality is about creating a fairer society where everyone has the opportunity to fulfil his or her potential. Diversity is about recognising and valuing difference in its broadest sense.
Aims: I am wholeheartedly committed to the principle of equality of opportunity as a provider of services to others. I aim to provide services to all irrespective of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity or marital or civil partnership status.
I look to ensure that my practice is in the service of the celebration of human difference and diversity, and that at no time is my practice used as a means of coercion or oppression of any group or individual. I aim to be supportive, fair, just and free from discrimination.
• All individuals should have the opportunity to live autonomous and socially responsible lives
• Respect is given to the individual and common humanity of all people
• Relationships shall be carried out without discrimination on the basis of race, religion or belief, colour, creed, disability, nationality, socio-economic status, gender or gender reassignment, age, sexual preference or orientation, or any other form of diversity
• Physical, psychological and social violence and oppression are opposed
• Individuals are encouraged to be aware of their relationship to the world around them, and to choose effectively their own responses and be responsible in their behaviour
• These values and subsequent actions are to enhance the well-being of individuals and society
• I aim to conduct my activities in ways that reflect the values listed above and the practices listed here.
• In order to achieve this for Tracy Barlow, Learning and Development Consultant, as a business, I also expect any consultants, advisers or suppliers working with me to likewise conduct their activities in ways that reflect the same values and follow the same practices.
• I avoid knowingly discriminating on any grounds
• I constantly seek to enhance our own awareness of possible areas of discrimination
• I aim to challenge in a supportive way any colleagues, service providers, clients (where appropriate) or participants whom I perceive to be using discriminatory behaviour
• I monitor my language, both spoken, written and non-verbal, for inadvertent discrimination
• I engage in developmental activities that are likely to increase my self-awareness, especially in relation to diversity
Communication of this policy
• This policy will be communicated to my clients and potential clients via the company website:
• A copy of this policy will also be available to all clients and potential clients upon request.
This policy is subject to continual review, and at least annually, in order to ensure it remains current and appropriate.